Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Pixel Art Experiments

The result of some recent pencil brush experiments. At this point I'd found just the right settings to get these nice flowing lines and started drawing robot master faces. Then I thought, "Hey! These look nice and kind of artsy, let's try drawing robot faces in as few lines as possible! It'll look cool!"

Results were mixed. The ones I drew first are on the far right and it kind of worsens as you move left haha. Oh well, I love drawing faces anyway.

Characters belong to Keiji Inafune/Capcom.

Earlier work is considerably darker, hit the break if you dare...


 Well, this is different... 

This is from over a week ago when I was experimenting with brush settings for the Pencil tool in Photoshop, not long after making those Snake Man sketches. It's actually really fun for me! 
I like the gritty pixel-y looks it creates, it lets me experiment and go crazy making weird things like this, which are a breath of fresh air from what I usually draw! (more cartoony things)
Realism isn't my forte, but I think this drawing/painting style creates a faux-realistic look, and it could help me practice if nothing else.

As for the subject, this was based on an old sketch from over a year ago, when I was in a particularly artsy mood and tried to draw weird conceptual things with meaning and stuff. I had titled it something like "Your Own Worst Enemy" and later "Violent Thoughts" but really it's just an experimental thing open to interpretation. I just thought it looked cool. =P

It's terribly small and I wanted to make more like it, but the inspiration hasn't quite been there. I'll post more when it comes back.


Here's a rougher version of Violent Thoughts next to the head I started with, which was simply duplicated, cut in half and rotated appropriately in Photoshop. I also tried drawing in the title but ultimately I wanted it to be more open to interpretation.


Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment