Friday, February 10, 2012

Staying at Grandma's, So Here's a Recipe

Life update - We've moved out of San Diego and are staying with my dad's mother in Fort Mohave, Arizona until I can secure my first job. 

It's a quiet little neighborhood near a quiet little town in the desert, so it's great for old folks like grandma. For me it's almost TOO quiet after living near the freeway for a year, and the lack of greenery is a tad depressing. But the house is big and beautiful and it's always good living with family. 

Grandma's famous for her cooking and hospitality (she had to raise 5 kids, after all), but I wanted to show her a recipe of my own. I'm sharing it here for anyone interested:

Recipe for Cornflake-breaded Chicken


I originally saw this on the back of a box of Corn Flakes and thought it sounded interesting. I looked up the recipe online and saw different variations of it, and threw together my own version based on what we had:

Ingredients:
Raw chicken, dried or marinated
1+ sticks of margarine or butter
Spices (garlic powder, etc)
Corn Flakes cereal
a large bag, like a plastic freezer bag
Casserole baking pan
  1. Preheat oven to about 350 degrees Fahrenheit, oil the baking pan
  2. Pour about half of the cornflakes into the bag, depends on how much chicken you have and how big the pieces are.
  3. Crush them into tiny pieces with your hands or a rolling pin.
  4. Add your spices to the cornflakes - I use garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, thyme or basil leaves, and any other seasoning that goes well. Add as much as you like, but don't go overboard!
  5. Close the bag and shake it up to mix the cornflakes and spices.
  6. Put your margarine in a bowl and melt it in a microwave. You'll dip the chicken in this, so add other ingredients if you like, or use an alternative like milk. The amount, again, depends on the size and amount of chicken you have.
  7. Put your chicken, melted butter, bag of flakes, and baking pan next to each other like an assembly line
  8. One by one, grab each piece of chicken and dip it in the butter, then place it in the bag and shake it until evenly coated. Then place it in the pan.
  9. When you've breaded all the chicken, pour the leftover cornflakes in between the chicken pieces in the pan. They'll soak up the juices and taste delicious! If you have any leftover butter, pour it on the chicken as well.
  10. Put the pan in the oven and cook it for about 40 minutes, give or take depending on the size of the chicken pieces. Based on my experience, it's about ready when the juices around the chicken are bubbling.
  11. When it's done, take it out and let it cool for a bit, then enjoy!

    This dish has always turned out well for me (though I've only made it 3 times), and my grandma loved it! Not bad for an amateur, I suppose =P

    No comments:

    Post a Comment