Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Family Trip Sketch Dump

Finally got around to dumping the rest of my sketches from my family trip a few months ago.

I was working thru robot personality headcanons hence the writing - not sure why I tried to scribble it out, I was probably indecisive and felt it was subject to change even tho it really hasn't
now if only I could apply that personality to my drawings rather than repeating the same disembodied grumpy face ten thousand times. :|

tried to draw the technology behind his speed thus a poor attempt at a pelvic engine done without reference or competence
oh well, you get the idea, the engine powers his legs which are light and hollow, along with his arms to reduce overall weight. He'd also have a coolant system more advanced than the average bot since he builds up so much heat from friction.

mostly messing around.

a lot of my sketching sessions consist of drawing silly disembodied faces over and over. oh well, it's fun.
oh yeah, my headcanon personality for him is basically as an 'Adorable Dumbass' - destructive, simple minded, naive and childish, but honest, very straightforward and sincere.

tried to make each bot as distinct as possible from one another, hence the leg designs.
hey is that a decent looking hand over there wow nice

Most of the time I was essentially trying to draw the robot masters with unique faces that could be recognizable without the rest of the head.
Oil Man is fun to go more cartoony with and Top Man's just a smarmy ball of fun. (the cleft chin one is Saturn)

I can draw everyone else better than the FLAGSHIP CHARACTER of this series, how depressing.

I thought of robots as Ponies until I thought Eh that's been done, how about drawing them as actual badass robot horses
which was a great idea until I discovered I can't quite draw horses but oh well.
I should try these again, Fire Horse looks pretty bamf.

I forgot to mention most of these family trip drawings were scribbled in an easy chair while watching TV at the same time, which explains the laziness.
I basically ran out of ideas when I got to Cut Man.

okay the rest of these are from an attempt at a Mega Man Horror AU and are pretty nasty... 



UHHHH YES EXPLANATION... >_>;
Several months ago I drew that weird thing with the guy's face cut in half with the gun, right? I stated then I would draw more of that when I got inspiration again...
In short that inspiration took the form of a Nightmare Fuel Mega Man AU, taking cues from peeps like Manic/ExtraVertebrae's (link) interpretations of Sonic characters and other bits I'd seen of horror interpretations of mega man characters.

The gist of this AU is that it's in a dark war-torn world where reckless development of weapons results in the break out of a terrible plague that attacks the nervous system and causes slow, painful death. Many people die save for survivors like Dr. Light, who quickly works with other scientists to develop a cure. However his wife and 3 children are infected and out of desperation, he proposes replacing the nervous system with cybernetics to halt the disease. Long story short, his wife ends up comatose in a pod, his eldest son goes berserk and runs off to eventually become Blues/Protoman, and his twin son and daughter lose most of their memory and are renamed Rock and Roll. Dr. Wily on the other hand loses his wife and most of his sanity and runs off. With so many dead and the economy collapsing Dr. Light and other scientists convert dying and dead humans into creepy robots/cyborgs for various uses. The first and most prominent are the Mega Man 1 robot masters, and you can probably deduce what happens next from there.

The most decent design from this concept was Elec Man up there, where I wanted to keep his overall silhouette but with horror elements hence the 'hey let's recreate his mask with PULLED SKIN yeah that's a winner' and then it steamrolled into pulled lips and 'red parts = exposed muscle'. I change the lightning symbol on his chest later.

Sorry about that Top Man attempt, that just turned out incredibly silly - really most of the designs from this concept turned out pretty bleh since I was not and still am not very good drawing horror things.

drew some Hornet Man and attempted to nightmare-ify him but quickly gave up because hell if I can draw a mass of bug appendages coming out of a robot's mouth.
moved on to draw more of  Elecreep, with much better development. +1 cool leather harness-thing and shoutouts to Frankenstein's Monster with neck-screws and snazzy platform shoes.

the last of this weirdo + a back view, with a little electricity generator which would probly be the source of all the wires stuck in his arms. the coils are meant to be a shout out to elecman.exe

this one was done in photoshop.
So yes this guy, I was quite enamored with him for a time, a nasty cyborg who does less running and jumping and more skittering across walls and floors and lashing out at lightning speed like a giant grinning spider. Instead of throwing boomerangs he slashes with boomerang shaped blades on his arms.
Essentially, Dr. Wily's more original creations tend to be more monstrous and less obvious about whatever remains they're made from, if any. Also tend to feature strange design choices since he's clinically insane.
The guy under the Feb 15 drawings was drawn over the next few days since I was all excited using the pencil tool and thought I'd drawn the coolest thing with that head then proceeded to flail around trying to think of a decent body for him.
A month and many drawings later I reopened this file and nearly gagged at what I used to be so proud of, then proceeded to doodle around with much more well-rounded results but still flubbed around with the body some more.
Eventually I kinda gave up on this character altogether - I like the head's design and the overall idea but he deviates awfully far from his source material and I'm just not too good at drawing horror things. Maybe I'll come back to this later or repurpose this design for an original character.

 Earlier Quick drawings from before my family trip. Tried to figure out a body as creepy as his head, with mixed results. Earlier attempts were much worse, to the point that I don't think I want to upload them.

The ridiculousness of the disparity between his original self and nightmarish self is most evident here.

Played with the idea of his bottom jaw opening sideways in 2 parts since I highly doubt that mouth can open normally.

 ...and that's all for now. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment